Planning your move
- Make sure you plan as far ahead as possible.
- Remember that the removalists will be handling
your valued and often irreplaceable possessions, so it is important to use
a reputable firm.
- Consider insurance to cover your contents
while they are being moved. Discuss this with the removal company.
- Obtain a quote for moving and ask for a flat
rate rather than an hourly rate. If there are any delays and you have an
hourly rate it can become more expensive than you anticipated.
Packing and Removal
- If you are packing yourself, start well in
advance of the moving day and avoid the last minute panic.
- Defrost your fridge the day before moving.
- Go through the house with the removalists when
they arrive, giving any special instructions you may have. Do the same
when you arrive at your new place.
- When packing cartons, it is a good idea to
mark the contents on the top and on the side for easy identification.
- It is not necessary to empty dresser drawers,
but remove all fragile and heavy items and all liquids. Do not overload
- You can use clean tea towels or tissue to pack
- Carry money, jewellery and valuable papers with
you. Removalists will not accept responsibility for articles of
Change of Address
- Notify utility companies (gas, electricity,
water and telephone) when to discontinue services.
- Make arrangements in advance for all services
to be connected at your new home.
- Notify people of your change of address,
including bank, motor vehicle registration, post office and organisations
of which you are a member.